Saturday, July 3, 2010

Adventures in Sewing

This morning, I finished up the red, white, and blue dresses I was working on for my girls for the 4th. This was the first time I had used this pattern, and I loved how they turned out, so I decided to photo them since the chances of me getting a good picture of them while my girl's are actually wearing them are slim.

Here's a few other things I've made for them over the past few months.

This is one I made for Mattie, and it's kind of a modified pillowcase dress that uses a fabric tie instead of ribbons. I stayed up late one night working on this one and spent my lunch hour the next day finishing it up so that she could wear it in her VBS performance that night at Matthew's parent's church. Then when we got there, they put t-shirts on all the kids, so no one ever saw it...ha! Oh well...kind of the story of my life.


This was one of the first dresses I made for Mattie, and is probably one of her favorites. I bought this fabric during the time Dancing With the Stars was on, and we were watching it every week. Mattie LOVED all the elaborate costumes and dresses the women wore (my feelings on the half naked women on that show are for another post). She kept asking for a dress that shows her back like the dancers wear. So, that's what this dress became. It started out as a halter, but after a few near misses with waldrobe malfunctions, I added buttons in the back, and button holes on the straps, and it secures now. I also added the pockets to aid in her rock collecting. This is maxi-dress length on Mattie, and is so, so cute on.

This is another Mattie dress. It's just a simple A-line jumper, but at the time I was making it, she asked me to please make her a dress that covered her feet, meaning she wanted it very long. So, I added a few inches to the length, and again, added the pockets for rock collecting. This is another fabric I love!
These are maybe my favorite dresses so far. I love that they're matching, and I love how little Presley's is....it kind of looked like a doll dress when I finished it, and I will probably make the next size up next time just for the length. I loved this fabric and bought it quite a while ago, but only got around to making these about a week ago. Interestingly enough, I considered this fabric as an option for Presley's nursery about a year ago when I was trying to decide what I wanted to do in there. In the end, I went with pink, but I do love this. I knocked both of these out in one Saturday in time for church the next day. Expect to see my girls in lots of dresses like these in the future because they are fast and easy to make.

This is a twirl skirt I made for Mattie out of the scraps I had leftover from another outfit I made for Presley, that I just realized I didn't take a picture of. It's a criss-cross back pinafore top made from the brown fabric and lined in the polka dot, with bloomers out of the polka dot. Cute. I didn't have a pattern for this skirt, I just made it up as I went, kind of, using another skirt she had that was similar as a guide, and it turned out okay. She loves it anyway, because it twirls good.

I've left out a few things, but these are some of my favorites. I have some new fabrics that I ordered and got in this week that I'm planning on working with tomorrow. I've definitely been giving my Singer a workout lately.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed girlie!! One day when I grow up maybe I can sew cute stuff too!! Nahhhhhh! I'll leave the really cute sewing projects to you! As always I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are some amazing dresses. Do you sell those?
    Kate (and now there are three)

    ReplyDelete