Monday, March 1, 2010

Weekend Recap

These things are random, but I put them here mostly for me to remember.


Saturday, both girls and I went shopping with Mimi in Monroe. We did just a quick little trip, only going to Hobby Lobby and Target, two of my favorites. I am blessed with two girls who know the importance of shopping and also know that Mama needs little girls that act nice in public in order to be able to shop as often as I do. Mattie has been going shopping with us since she was about 8 weeks old, and Presley's first shopping trip to Little Rock was at 5 weeks. I can only think of one time when Mattie was not in top form and should have been left at home, and Presley has done great the half dozen times she's already been in her short life. My mom or sister, who we shop with often, may have different perspectives, but I think we do pretty good.


We hit Hobby Lobby first, and both girls acted perfect for the 1.5 hours we were there. Then we shot across town to Target, and before we got out of the car, I turned around to Mattie in the backseat, and said "are you going to be a good girl in Target and mind your Mommy?". She looked up towards the ceiling with her eyes like she was really considering the question, then looked at me and said, "Let's just wait and see". Good answer, Mattie...don't make any promises you're not sure you can keep, right? That girl never ceases to surprise me with the things that come out of her mouth!


Sunday Mattie had pictures for dance. The form they sent home with her recital costume said to please put makeup on them for pictures and recital. I'm not going to lie...little girls in a full face of makeup freak me out. I hate the way it looks, and I think it's just wrong. Call me weird, I don't care. BUT, I wasn't going to let Mattie be the girl with the overly strict mom that forbid seemingly harmless things like that. We'll save that for her teenage years. And I knew that the opportunity for her to wear my makeup with permission, and with the benefit of having it applied correclty would be thrilling for Mattie, because she's slightly obsessesed with my makeup bag and it's contents, and is constantly having to be told to stay out of it.

So she got her hair curled with hot rollers, and a subtle amount of blush and lip gloss applied. I will admit that I attempted a small amount of mascara, but it is near impossible to put mascara on an almost four year old who can't understand simple instructions like "Look up. No, not with your head, just with your eyes". And when she cried over her costume being so itchy, what little bit of mascara she did have on ran. So, we had our first mother-daughter makeup lesson about keeping your tears in check when your wearing mascara that's not waterproof. Once she was all fixed up, I had to tear her away from the bathroom mirror because she couldn't quit grinning at herself. And the dance studio with floor to ceiling, wall to wall mirrors? This was heaven for a girl that couldn't get enough of her own reflection. In the end, she would only do her cheesy fake smile for the actual picture, but it was better than tears, so I call it a success.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment