Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hello, New Year

I plan to do a Christmas recap sometime this week, and I plan to pay more attention to this blog in general in the new year. But for now, I wanted to write about the committment I'm making in 2011, in an effort to put it out there and make myself somewhat accountable.

For 2011, there are several things I want to do different or start new. And maybe I'll do some of them, and maybe I won't. But one thing I am committing myself to, and that I plan to see through to the end of the year (and hopefully forever) is scripture memory.

In the women's bible study I did at church this fall (Faithful, Abundant, True), I felt very convicted of this...that I should be making scripture memory a priority. Not just reading my Bible, and not just doing Bible Study, but that I should be taking my thoughts captive by meditating on certain scriptures and committing them to memory. I knew that Beth Moore was going to be starting her Siesta Scripture Memory Team again in January 2011, so I decided to wait until then and join up with that.

The way this memory team works is everyone commits to memorize 26 verses for the year, that's one every two weeks. And you pick your own verses, that way it's more personal to you and you're more likely to commit it to memory. I don't have all 26 verses picked out yet...I want to wait and see where God leads me in His Word this year, but the verse I picked for my first is the same one I put at the top of my post a few weeks ago:

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your Word. I will seek You with all of my heart; do not let me stray from Your commands. I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You." Psalm 119:9-11

I liked that the verse sums up why I'm doing this. My goal for this year is to seek Him with all my heart and in all I do. And I just typed the whole thing from memory, so hopefully I'm well on my way to having it permanantly memorized.

I'll put my new verse up here every two weeks just to keep myself accountable. And for the record, I did keep my 2010 resolution all year long without fail, so I'm hoping this will be a breeze too. Happy New Year, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you sweet friend, for this precious piece of information... Siessta Scripture memory Team I'm praying it will help me to keep my committment to deepen my walk as well. Thank you Father for speaking to me thru my friend!

    ReplyDelete